Friday, November 6, 2009

Beautiful distractions...

There is a BEAUTIFUL view from the "kitchen sink" window! It makes doing dishes a joy! I look out and think independent thoughts... (I still don't get to go to the bathroom by myself, but, at the kitchen sink I am alone for whole minutes at a time...) I LOVE the enormous tree out that window!! All summer long I have admired it when the sun shone brightly down, the moon too; when the breeze gently moved it's leaves; even when it stood majestically still. And then came fall...WOW!! The colors were ablaze and truly that tree was at it's beautiful best! This morning I noticed that the strong north winds have taken away all but a few leaves and the tree is bare and cold looking. I can now see right through to beyond it... And there IT was...Pikes Peak in all it's snow topped GLORY!! WOW!!! The mountains are AMAZING from my kitchen sink window, better than any other sight I have seen all summer or fall. How could I have forgotten?? I was so busily distracted by the tree that I forgot about the MOUNTAIN!!! God gently spoke to my heart and reminded me it is like that in my life sometimes as well. I get so distracted by beautiful things...my bright & creative kids, coffee with my lovely sister and her hysterically funny daughter, my hard working husband who loves me (and Jesus!!), attending prayer & mommy groups, helping at the kids school's, sharing my faith with new friends... Sometimes I miss HIM...my GLORIOUS Jesus...the One who's beauty is beyond compare!! Oh, I realize my "distractions" are still wonderful and worthy of my time. They are all given to me by THE One Whom I mustn't miss... He must always be in the forefront, the reason I appreciate all the other things well. His glory makes all of the other things shine brighter! I am utterly amazed this morning how Jesus, the creator of all things, desires to be in relationship with me! That He delights in 'lil ole, often distracted me! I want Him to be my focus each day...I don't want to ever "forget".

No comments: